Trekabout Photography Workshops - Five Day Mountain Experience
Workshops, Tours, Adventures with AIPP* Accredited Professional Photographer Mark Rayner and the Dream Team
Trekabout Photography Workshops cater for all levels of experience and are very encouraging to beginners. Lamington National Park is full of photographic opportunities, including a large variety of wildlife, rainforest and eucalypt forest landscapes, waterfalls, stunning valley views, sunsets and lots of macro subjects.
These amazing photographic locations and subjects, coupled with Mark’s extensive photographic knowledge and tuition skills, means you will have an opportunity to learn plenty of valuable photographic tips, with like-minded people. And you will do so in the most tranquil, beautiful surroundings.
To read what our past-participants say about our Five Day “Mountain Experience”, please scroll to bottom of this page.
◦ ◦ Macro photography techniques - for beginners and more advanced users.
◦ ◦ Landscape photography techniques - in the rainforest and sunset overlooking the amazing expanse of the Kerry Valley.
◦ ◦ Waterfall and cascade photography.
◦ ◦ Bird and animal photography techniques.
◦ ◦ Reviews and critique of participant's images (evenings) and suggestions for improvements.
◦ ◦ Post-processing tips and hints.
◦ ◦ Audio visual presentations from Mark, including wildlife, macro and nature photography.
◦ ◦ Getting to know your camera and it's hidden capabilities.
◦ ◦ Simplifying the digital world including camera technicalities, image storage, unravelling digital jargon and more.
◦ ◦ Advice on recommended cameras/lenses/accessories to use for specific purposes.
◦ ◦ Flash photography techniques including use of diffusers, reflectors, natural light etc.
◦ ◦ Group tuition as well as one-on-one tuition from Mark.
◦ ◦ Best use of photographic accessories and gadgets.
◦ ◦ Free time to practice what you have learned (or simply unwind and relax in the stunning surrounds of Lamington National Park)
5.30pm – meet in the upstairs bar (above O’Reilly’s reception) to meet Mark and the other photography workshop participants
- After dinner – Introductions and overview of the week’s program
- After breakfast - Getting to know your photographic equipment. This is extremely important as you need to know what gear and settings are needed for specific situations and subjects.
- After morning tea – Trip to Luke’s Farm to photograph rustic buildings, fences etc.
- After lunch – Landscape photography, incorporating a trip to Python Rock. Buttress roots, vines, Crow’s Nest ferns and much more.
- After dinner – Audio visual presentation - Nature
- After breakfast - Bird photography and other wildlife photography techniques, including pademelons (small, wallaby-like macropods).
- After morning tea – Post-processing your digital photos. How to make your digital photos look good on your computer or as printed photos.
- After lunch - Free time to explore and photograph the natural beauty of Lamington N.P. or simply relax and enjoy your surroundings. This is a great opportunity to take in the 'Birds of Prey' flight show at 1:00pm or 'Wildlife Encounter' show at 3:00pm (charges apply for both shows).
- After dinner – Photo critique (8pm – 9pm). Mark will critique some of the photos you have taken so far, giving hints and advice along the way. Make sure to bring your memory cards along.
- Full day trip (lunch out) – Elabana Falls, creeks, cascades and rainforest. Learn how to take great waterfall and rainforest landscape photos. Return back to base approximately 3pm.
- After dinner – Free time or join in with guest activities
- Before breakfast – Come on an early-morning bird walk with Mark. Try taking some photos or get to know the birds and their calls.
- After breakfast – Macro photography session “in-the-field”.
- After morning tea – Audio visual presentation
- After lunch – Free time to relax or practice your techniques
- Late afternoon – Landscape photography, head to Luke’s farm to photograph the stunning views (including sunset) into the valleys.
- After breakfast – One last chance to capture some of Lamington’s stunning birds.
- After morning tea – Photo critique. Mark will critique your favourite photos of the week.
Finish approximately 12:30 to 1:00pm
Things you will need:
¥ ◦ Camera gear
¥ ◦ Any lenses ranging from 10mm to 300mm (don't worry if you don't have all the lenses - you will still learn a lot with your digital SLR and kit lens) plus any specialty lenses you may have.
¥ ◦ Flash
¥ ◦ Memory card(s),
¥ ◦ Sturdy tripod
¥ ◦ Camera owners manual - Important!
¥ ◦ Comfortable walking shoes
¥ ◦ Drinking water
¥ ◦ Insect repellant
¥ ◦ Sunscreen and hat
¥ ◦ Spare batteries and charger
Photography workshop price: $1027.40 per person (please note a 2.9% surcharge applies to credit card payments)
Click here to book this workshop.
O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat has kindly offered a substantial discount on their standard room tariff to those who are participating in Trekabout workshops.
You can contact O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat reservations on 1800 688 722 to make your accommodation booking.
To qualify for the discount, you must mention that you are attending Trekabout Photography "5 Day Mountain Experience” workshop.
Various meal packages also available through O’Reilly’s
You can contact O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat reservations on 1800 688 722 to make your accommodation and meal bookings.
To qualify for the discount, you must mention that you have booked the Trekabout Photography Five Day “Mountain Experience” workshop.
For those on a tighter budget, excellent campsites are available at the National Park camp ground, 5 minutes walk from O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat
Please note: This workshop is limited to 8 participants. Please book early to avoid disappointment. All meals are the responsibility of attendee and are available as part of your accommodation package, from the cafe or BYO.
For further details on any of our workshops or if you have any other questions, please phone Mark on 0459 221678. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
View Larger Map
Proudly supported by:
O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat
Environmental protection Agency
Camping - Green Mountains Section
Jay Gould of Malvern, VIC writes:
Trekabout Photography’s Five-Day Mountain Experience exceeded all of my expectations. As a newbie to high-end digital photography, prior to making a commitment to participate in a five day learning experience, I researched all of the available local courses and evaluated the instructors, course content, and costs with my brother who is a professional photographer in San Diego, California. We came to the conclusion that Michael and Mark’s qualifications as professional photographers and instructors, the amount of material covered during the five days both in group and one-on-one instruction (there were only 12 of us!), justified choosing Trekabout Photography to be my instructor and to introduce me to the various aspects of nature photography: equipment, moving critters/birds, landscapes, and macro. When considering the pupil/student ratio, the number of hours involved during the five days, the content, and the location, the price was the most reasonable of all that I had researched. Trust me: the five-day experience will more than exceed any expectation you might create prior to going on the course! As an aside, when M & M indicated that they were considering a couple of other multi-day courses – a week in the desert and a week at Norfolk Island – several of the participants were ready to sign on the bottom line. Personally, I have registered for four more of their courses, and I am waiting to learn about their multi-day courses hoping that their dates will coincide with my schedule. See you at a Trekabout Photography Workshop!
Bob Raymount from Robina, QLD writes:
G'day Michael and Mark, Just wanted to drop you both a quick line to tell you how thoroughly I have enjoyed the last five days! I am not sure I could even suggest what you guys could have done to have made it any better than it was and I want you to know that I have come away knowing a great deal more about photography than I knew at 5.30pm last Sunday. You guys should be proud of that and I know that my sentiment is shared by everyone who attended the workshop. We could not have asked for a better bunch of people to share 5 days developing our common interests and an added bonus to the skills I have learned is the friends I have made. You guys deserve a lot of credit - I know we are the paying customer, but you guys deliver in spades and your knowledge and personalities complement each other and make everyone feel very comfortable very quickly. All the best guys and rest assured, the big guy up there willing, we will meet again! Thanks heaps.
Howard Aron of Mudjimba, QLD writes:
As a keen photographer for a number of years, I booked on the workshop for the opportunity to spend some time outside the stressful work environment with some people that share a common passion and interest and I guess a quest to hone ones skills in the amazing art of photography. Not only did the leave the workshop relaxed and ready for the office environment, but I also unexpectedly took home a lot more knowledge and skills that I gleaned from Michael and Mark. A workshop like this which caters to all levels of skills also made me realise that just when you think you know it all, it take two gents like Michael and Mark to help you lift your skill even further. My only regret was not taking my wife with me, to share in the beauty of Lamington National Park.
Colin Kildey of Bellingen, NSW writes:
I have been on a number of courses run by Michael and this time I had the opportunity to meet Mark. My main interest is macro photography. With the help of both Michael and Mark, I came away with a better knowledge of this type of photography. Nothing was too much trouble for either one, readily answering questions on gear, lenses most suited for the subject, light, and composition. A very good course for those who wish to better understand their cameras and how to capture that "WOW" photograph.
Terry O'Brien of Dalby, QLD writes:
Hi Michael and Mark, Placing pen to paper (so to speak) to say what a great time I had at your 5 day workshop. O'Reilly's will be a return journey for photography in 2010. I learnt so much about my camera, I cannot thank you both enough. These workshops are assisting in my digital photography knowledge, and I feel that it is all coming together. All the best to everyone
Garth Thomas of Coorparoo, QLD writes:
The 5 day workshop at O'Reilly's was my second Trekabout workshop. The first workshop had significantly improved my camera skills and I was hopeful the experience would be even better with a longer workshop. I was not disappointed. Under the guidance of Michael and Mark, I am convinced that my skills have taken another leap forward. The longer workshop provided an opportunity to learn and consolidate new skills, and spend a relaxing week in a marvellous location.
Pamela Handyside of Canberra, ACT writes:
The “5-Day Mountain Experience Workshop” was fantastic. What a way to learn new photography skills – with two totally dedicated tutors who devote 100% of their time to teaching all levels of skill to every one in the group and are freely giving of their vast knowledge and enthusiasm for photography, nature and wildlife. The workshop was an invaluable learning experience and I learnt more from Michael and Mark during this workshop than I have on all previous courses and workshops combined! It all now makes sense and my camera skills have been taken to a much higher level. If you want to learn about photography and camera skills - and have fun at the same time - there are no better tutors than Michael and Mark. I am signing up for more workshops!