Bali, Komodo & Borneo - Wildlife and Culture Photography Tour
Workshops, Tours, Adventures with AIPP* Accredited Professional Photographer Mark Rayner and the Dream Team
When: 16 February to 28 February 2024
Where: Bali, Komodo and Borneo
Booking information at the bottom of this page.
Please check back for additional dates. If you subscribe to the TREKeZine RSS feed, you will be automatically notified when more workshop dates are released.
Our mates in Kalimantan give us a big thumbs up too!
We will concentrate on the bird life of the area and landscape photography.
Then on the 18 th we will fly to the Labuhan Bajo and the gateway to the Komodo Islands and the home of the largest lizard on earth. The Komodo dragon is found only on the islands of Komodo, Pagar, and Rinca. These giant Lizards date back 1.4 million years to the early Pleistocene period, and lived alongside pygmy elephants, giant tortoises and giant rats.
We will have plenty of opportunities to photograph these unique creatures in their natural habitat, but the Komodo area has much more to photograph, as we will visit traditional fishing villages , local markets , tour by boat in the pristine waters of Komodo National Park and take in the spectacular scenery and sunsets of the area.
There will be plenty of opportunities to photograph Orangutans in their natural environment as we cruise up the ancient waterways near the town of Palangkaraya.
We will also visit riverside villages and connect with the indigenous Dayak people and observe their way of life. There will be plenty of landscape and people photo opportunities along the way.
This is a very relaxing and enjoyable experience and the Lakes area is quite spectacular with early morning reflections and beautiful sunrises and sunsets.
The Lok Baintan floating market draws colourful boats of mostly woman wearing traditional head covers, called tanggui, bring a variety of goods to sell. This a great opportunity to get some very unique photographs, and we will be there early for the morning light.
In the afternoon we will concentrate on street photography , including photographing a 300 year old mosque, and visit the old part of town by boat.
This will be a very interesting cultural experience and add more variety to this adventure.
We will spend 2 nights on a boat in an area of Borneo very different than Palangkaraya, but also beautiful in its own way.
One of the other features of this trip is the food. Banjar food in particular which is very flavoursome and uses tamarind, lime leaves, chilies and a balance of sour and spicy flavours.
Banjar food reflects the regions diverse cultural influences. It’s a blend of vibrant flavours and traditional recipes. You are sure to enjoy this experience.
- Photograph the birds of the entire Indonesian Archipelago in one amazing display with four huge walk through aviaries.
- Photograph the Komodo Dragons in their natural habitat
- Cruise through the beautiful islands of Komodo National Park by boat
- Visit local fishing villages in this area
- Experience the serene beauty of the Kahayan river in Central Borneo
- Photographing Orangutans and traditional village life.
- Interact with the indigenous Dayak communities , documenting their rich traditions, art , dance and ceremonies.
- Photograph the stilted homes on the water, offering unique architectural and lifestyle photo opportunities.
- Experience floating markets where locals trade goods from their wooden boats
- Challenge your street photography skills in the busy river city of Banjarmasin.
- Witness a special dance performance from the Spirit of the Hornbills Dayak dance group
- Cruise by small canoe into the backwaters and ancient waterways in Borneo.
- Photograph the rare proboscis monkeys, endemic to Borneo, and other wildlife.
- Enjoy incredibly tasty food and savour the delights of Balinese, Banjarese and Dayak cuisine.
This amazing photography tour workshop is designed to suit the beginner or serious enthusiast. A digital SLR or mirrorless camera is recommended, however, any camera that has manual functions would also be suitable. Best lenses to bring include a longer zoom for wildlife and wide angled lens for landscape purposes. A sturdy but light travel tripod is essential.
COST : Sharing accomodation in Hotels (per person). USD $6200
Single room in Hotels USD$6500
Please note it may be necessary to share a room on the boats depending on the numbers of people we take on the tour
11 Nights accomodation ( including 6 nights on boats )
Park entrance fees
Local transport including small boats and air conditioned car
Special private Dayak dance performance
Pick up from Bali airport ( if arriving from overseas)
Domestic flights (throughout Indonesia)
Please join us on a unique and extraordinary photography adventure. You will have many opportunities to receive one-on-one tuition and move your photography skills along. Personal attention is our commitment to you. Mark and Dave are both expert tutors and have over 80 years combined photography experience.
This amazing tour will fill up quickly, so please contact Mark to secure your place.
Balance payable 30 days before workshop.
(please note a 2.9% handling fee applies to credit card payments)
Travel insurance is mandatory and remains your responsibility.