Get to know your digital camera in one of Australia's most amazing natural environments! This amazing Red Centre Experience will include a 3 day trip to Kings Canyon, the iconic Uluru and Kata Tjuta.
The workshop is designed to teach participants skills in all facets of photography including composition, lighting, exposure, aperture/shutter speed/ISO, depth of field and much more.
Trekabout Photography Workshops cater for all levels of experience and are very encouraging to beginners as well as the more advanced. Our nine day Red Centre Experience will be based in Alice Springs which, in itself, is home to many wonderful attractions and photographic opportunities.
The area surrounding Alice Springs is home to a large variety of desert wildlife and flora. The outback is also renowned for producing amazing colours at sunrise and sunset. Both opportunities will be presented during the workshop.
The photographic locations and subjects, coupled with Mark's extensive photographic knowledge and tuition skills, means you will have an opportunity to learn many valuable photographic tips and techniques, with like-minded people. And you will do so in the most beautiful surroundings. The outback remoteness, and the peace and tranquility it embodies, is an experience you will treasure for a lifetime.
One of the opportunities presented will be to photograph many wild and rare desert reptiles, birds and mammals at the Alice Springs Desert Park. Special access will provide additional opportunities and subjects not normally available to the general public.
You will visit the East and West McDonnell Ranges and take in the spectacular scenery of Trephina Gorge Nature Park, Jessie Gap, Emily Gap, Ormiston Gorge, Standley Chasm and much more.
This amazing Red Centre Experience will include a 3 day trip to Kings Canyon, the iconic Uluru and Kata Tjuta. We won't be climbing "The Rock" out of respect to its traditional owners, but we will be spending considerable time at select locations to capture it's awe-inspiring beauty. Sunset photography at Uluru followed by dinner and champagne under the desert stars will be an experience not quickly forgotten.
- Macro photography techniques - for beginners and more advanced users.
- Landscape photography techniques - in the expansive outback and desert, with sunset opportunities, overlooking the amazing Uluru and red sand desert expanses.
- Waterfall and cascade photography - depending on conditions and local rainfall, a very real possibility
- Extensive bird and wildlife photography techniques.
- Review and critique of participant's images and suggestions for improvements (two evenings)
- Getting to know your camera and its hidden capabilities.
- Simplifying the digital world including camera technicalities, image storage, unraveling digital jargon and more.
- Advice on recommended cameras/lenses/accessories to use for specific purposes.
- Flash photography techniques including use of diffusers, reflectors, natural light etc.
- Group tuition as well as one-on-one tuition from Mark.
- Best use of photographic accessories and gadgets.
- Free time to practice what you have learned (or simply unwind and relax)
Sunday - Alice Springs Desert Park
- Meet, greet and assessment of skills and needs
- Birds in flight - introduction
- Animal portrait photography
- Review and critique days photography
Monday - East MacDonnell Ranges
- Trephina Gorge - Landscape photography
- Jessie and Emily Gaps
- Corroboree Rock
- The Ghost Gum
Tuesday - West MacDonnell Ranges
- Standley Chasm
- Glen Helen Gorge - Enjoy an optional chopper flight over the incredible Ormiston Pound and gorge.
- Ormiston Gorge
- Ochre Pits
- Simpsons Gap
Wednesday - Central Australian Reptile Centre
- Early morning Reptile photography
- Afternoon Macro and Bird session - Olive Pink Botanic Gardens
Thursday - Alice Springs
- Free day to explore Alice Springs.
- Visit the Old Telegraph Station or the Trucking Museum.
- Shop for souvenirs, take an early morning hot air balloon ride or a scenic fixed wing flight out over the ranges.
- Chill out and relax.
Friday - Uluru
- Full day and evening trip with landscape photography of Uluru.
- BBQ dinner back at Yalara accommodation and optional star trail photography
Saturday - Kata Tjuta
- Full day with landscape photography of Kata Tjuta
- Sunset photography at Kings Canyon.
- Overnight at Kings Canyon resort
Sunday- Kings Canyon
- Full day with predominately landscape photography.
- Canyon walk
- Optional chopper flight over the canyon then back to Alice Springs
Monday - Alice Springs Desert Park
- Morning free time
- Bird walk
- Birds in Flight - last chance
- Review and critique
- Wrap Up
- Farewell Dinner
*PLEASE NOTE – PROGRAM SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
Mark Rayner has travelled extensively through the Australian outback and photographed its natural beauty. The photographic opportunities presented have been well researched and offer a condensed snapshot of desert life. Additionally, by drawing on the experience of local wildlife experts, you will have exclusive photographic access to rare and difficult-to-find wildlife.
Things you will need:
- Camera gear
- Any lenses ranging from 10mm to 600mm (don't worry if you don't have all the lenses - you will still learn a lot with your digital SLR and kit lens)
- External flash (if you own one)
- Memory card(s),
- Sturdy tripod - Note: If you do not own a tripod, please call Mark first before purchasing.
- Camera owners manual - Important!
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Drinking water
- Insect repellant
- Sunscreen and hat
- Fully-charged batteries (plus spares) and charger – Important!
- All park entries, fees and permits.
- Transport to and from the East McDonnell Ranges, Trephina Gorge Nature Park
- Transport to and from West McDonell Ranges.
- Transport to and from Kings Canyon, Uluru and Kata Tjuta (which includes all meals and accommodation for the three days / two nights) is also included in the workshop fee.
- Alice Springs accommodation.
- Transport to and from Alice Springs Desert Park, Alice Springs Reptile Centre, Olive Pink Botanical gardens
- Farewell Dinner (excluding alcohol)
- Transport to and from Alice Springs.
- Meals (except where otherwise stated).
- Alcohol and items of a personal nature.
- Helicopter flights where available (Glen Helen Gorge and Kings Canyon).
Twin share discount $400.00 per person.
Click here to book this workshop. $600.00 non-refundable deposit payable within five (5) days of booking.
Balance payable thirty (60) days prior to the workshop.
Please note: This workshop is limited to 6 participants. This will ensure that you receive comprehensive personal tuition from Mark over the week.
Please book early to avoid disappointment. Please note a minimum of 3 participants required for this workshop to proceed.
For further details on any of our workshops or if you have any other questions, please phone Mark on 0459 221678. Alternatively, you can email email@example.com
For further information please follow the links below:
A great site with loads of useful information: